Lecturer in Linguistics | Department of Linguistics and English Language | University of Manchester
2015-18 | PhD in Linguistics | University of Manchester
- Thesis title: Expletives and Clause Structure: Syntactic Change in Icelandic
- Supervisors: Prof. Kersti Börjars; Dr. Tine Breban
- Keywords: Generative syntax; language change; historical corpora; Icelandic; expletives; Lexical Functional Grammar.
2014-15 | MLitt Scandinavian Studies | University of Aberdeen
- Class awarded: Distinction
- Thesis title: Creating Coherence: A Study of Old Norse Connectives.
- Selected taught modules: Advanced Old Norse language & literature; Runic; Medieval Latin; Paleography.
2010-14 | BA (Hons) Modern & Medieval Languages | Magdalene College | University of Cambridge
- Class awarded: I
- Dissertation 1 title: The Fate of the Instrumental Case in the History of German.
- Dissertation 2 title: Low German in Scandinavia: A Study of Language Contact in Hanseatic Bergen.
- Selected taught modules: Germanic philology (including Old Norse, Old High German, Gothic, Old English); Old Norse language & literature; history of the German language; phonetics, phonology & morphology.
- September 2018 – present Lecturer in Linguistics, University of Manchester.
- 2016 – 2018 Graduate Teaching Assistant in Linguistics, University of Manchester.
Awards & grants
- 2015-18 Arts & Humanities Research Council Doctoral Training Award.
- 2015-18 University of Manchester President’s Doctoral Scholar Award.
- July 2017 AHRC Northwest Consortium Overseas Conference Grant.
- July 2016 AHRC Northwest Consortium Student Development Grant.
- June 2014 D.H Green Prize, Faculty of Modern & Medieval Languages, University of Cambridge.
- June 2014 Peskett Prize for Modern & Medieval Languages, Magdalene College, University of Cambridge.
Membership of professional bodies
- Linguistic Association of Great Britain (LAGB)
- The Philological Society
- Forum for Germanic Language Studies (FGLS)
- Viking Society for Northern Research
Academic visits & collaborations
- September 2017 – present Participant in the project ‘Constraints on syntactic variation: noun phrases in early Germanic languages’.
- January – April 2014 Research support worker on the project ‘Corpus of Historical Low German’.